Well…whoever knows me well, I love trying new apps/softwares. It took me a few days to make the decision of getting Procreate Dreams. First, I watched several articles about it, compared its features with Fresco and I was also aware of the negative critiques about it also. Meanwhile I had an idea of a Christmas card.
Christmas card idea into action
I started putting it into action in Fresco. However, I didn’t get the result I wanted. Is it Fresco’s lack of option or could it be me not finding out how? Who knows?! The fact is, with this situation, I went for it and got Procreate dreams. Was it an excuse I couldn’t solve the problem with Fresco? Who knows?! 😁
After watching a video on how to use procreate dreams, I put it to test. From what I had watched I suspected I could do what I wanted. I wanted to move objects from point A to B, without them going back to its start point. Even though choosing ‘to play once’ in Fresco’s settings, I didn’t obtain the desired result.It wasn’t a matter of disabling loop or choosing ‘once’ like in Fresco if it was to work.
What I like and dislike in Procreate Dreams
- I can control the frames well
- The layers of my illustration are transformed into tracks
- Tracks are easy to be seen and the option to control their sizes in the screen.
- I can add music to the video!
It might as well be because I’m still not very used with it.
- Although we can control the stage (where the video screen lies) size, whenever I have to move the elements in the stage, I am somehow touching the tracks in the bottom and modifying their sizes.
- Transforming the elements to change their position while recording live the movement, wasn’t straight forward as the elements were being transformed in their sizes instead. Again, I might just have to get used with.
- Controlling the size of the tracks with the three fingers action is not being straight forward for now. Somehow, by touching the screen accidentally or positioning badly my fingers, I end up with very small tracks as if they were lines. Consequently, I can’t see anything.
Overall I quite liked it, even knowing that some features are still not present. I don’t have any problem in creating my illustration in Procreate with all the features and importing it into dreams. And if needed, I can still complement the illustration in dreams with its basic drawing features. However, by saying that, I should stress I don’t produce illustrations in large scale. Will I continue using it? For sure!!
Christmas card: from start to final result
Bellow is the basic picture I started with from Procreate, followed by the end result.